Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Weighing the Risks

Front page Ventura County Star - Sunday, June 17, 2012 by Tom Kisken

Great, needed article, and I am ready to weigh in.

But first, I want to be clear that it is not my intention to speak against, nor unkindly toward anyone; those with weight problems (health problems more accurately), those who have had or are considering bariatric surgery, not anyone. Rather, my comments are intended to bring light to the known risks, and to advise those who don't know that there is enormous evidence that there are better and safer ways for most people to lose weight and become healthy.

Risks to the individual are substantial. According to the Mayo Clinic, longer term risks and complications of weight-loss surgery vary depending on the type of surgery. They can include:
    Bowel obstruction
    Dumping syndrome, causing diarrhea, nausea or vomiting
    Gallstones
    Hernias
    Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
    Malnutrition
    Stomach perforation
    Ulcers
    Vomiting
    Death (rare)

Additionally there are risks to our culture both by the promotion of a fix that doesn't address the cause of obesity, and by the lack of attention to the lifestyle, nutritional, physiologic and emotional causes of obesity.

In my general practice, spanning almost 30 years, I have advised many patients that food allergies often cause weight gain. Removing dairy products from the diet often results in weight loss without counting calories or measuring portions. It is well known that removing gluten (the dominant protein in wheat) from the diet often results in weight loss. It is important to note that the removal of dairy and gluten don't just result in weight loss for many, but also clearly and consistently improve health, energy and mood.

A 32 year-old female patient of mine lost 65 pounds in 9 months when, as I advised, she took gluten completely out of her diet. She had struggled with her weight her entire life.

Most Americans are deficient in vitamin D; the sunshine vitamin. Turns out that low blood levels of vitamin D have been shown to correlate with difficulty shedding unhealthy pounds. 

There is no single magic bullet for weight loss (the real goal is getting well, excess fat loss follows), but I can tell you that patient after patient that I treat for weight issues, has never been previously advised that dairy products, gluten and low vitamin D can be powerful factors in weight gain. These are just 3 examples of factors that most obese and overweight individuals have never had the opportunity to consider or to experiment with for themselves.

My friend, Mark Hyman, MD is a world-renowned expert on weight loss through a Functional Medicine approach. His most recent New York Times bestseller is entitled The Blood Sugar Solution. If you want to really look at smart and doable ways to lose weight through becoming healthy, please read his book! Dr. Hyman helped President Clinton gain the amazing health that he has today, through this plan.

For me, this discussion of the obesity part of our disease epidemic, is not about who is wrong, bad, or to blame. It is about our mutual future, that calls for us to work together in friendship for our common good, our common health.


http://www.Ventura-Chiropractor.com


6 comments:

  1. Good information, Kris! And it reminded me of something else I read this week: that people who have liposuction done on their subcutaneous abdominal fat start putting on more of the more dangerous visceral fat. Seems there are always consequences. ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to look before we leap!
      Thank you, Jean!

      Delete
  2. Good job Kris!
    People are fools---it's just the way it is. I wish there were a pill to cure stupidity; I would be the first one taking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be taking a dose too; but just a little, like a baby aspirin! ;)

      Delete
  3. I tried cutting out gluten. I work from 1pm-10pm. when I get home I clean any dishes in the kitchen sink and then relax a while because I'm not tired the minute I walk in the door. I know weight gain can be caused by lack of sleep also. I just have no energy to exercise. I clean for a living and I am constantly moving, but lately it seems I just keep gaining the weight. I eat fruits and vegies during the day, gave up the ice cream, when I can't sleep at 2 am I watch smallville and eat cheeries. Is it because it runs in my family? I have never been this heavy in my life, except while pregnant. I'm ashamed to let anybody see me. Could it be the blood pressure meds? How do you feel about the body sculpting,Kris? Any thoughts on that process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Thank you for joining our conversation!

      Keep the gluten out 100% until you feel great and have been able to get to a healthy body composition for you. It is too risky to leave in. Our weight issues are caused by a few factors combined. If we put the problems back in, we will not get well.

      No, your weight issue is not caused by your family. A patient of mine who comes from an overweight family, and has been obese all of her life, just lost 125 lbs over a 2 year period and is no longer obese - no surgery.

      Blood pressure meds can cause problems, but the real question is why do you have high blood pressure. We need to fix that first.

      Body sculpting appears to mean different things. If you are talking about liposuction, the answer is, get well first and then think about it.

      Delete